Monday, February 13, 2012

Why Can't More Current Music Artists Be More Like Adele?

February 12, 2012: Adele performing live at the Grammys where she also won 6 awards.
Image Source

BACKGROUND INFO :
Even if you don't know anything about British singer/songwriter Adele, it's 100%  likely that you have at least heard her music play on the radio every now and then. Or maybe you've heard your floor-mates wail a lyric or two down the hallway. (Yes, I am speaking from personal experience with that one.) Though relatively newly popular in the US, she has been fairly famous in the UK for quite some time now. With her most recent album "21," many consider the following on the album to be her greatest works: "Rolling In The Deep" and "Someone Like You." As I mentioned above in the image caption, she was nominated for 6 Grammys Awards this year and went home with all 6.  She also performed a stellar performance even though she just had throat surgery.
By why in the midst of this pop era of attention-seeking outfits, risque dance moves, and auto-tune does Adele tend to stand out from her fellow music artists?
Rihanna also performing live at the 2012 Grammys.
Image Source
 LESS IS MORE :
It's because she has talent behind her name and therefore, she does not need to resort to selling sex and abusing theatrics merely to divert the audience's attention from the singing. She does not need to resort to wearing outlandish clothing, grinding on a back-up dancer, or lip-syncing/singing into an auto-tune microphone. She also doesn't need a ton of visual distractions to divert the audience's attention away from her singing voice.
Adele is a breath of fresh air because she has natural talent and has class.
Key words: Natural Talent, Class.
And it seems as though Americans are beginning to appreciate simplicity more than strange.
Plus, who can really deny a well-written song about heartbreak?
Adele singing "Someone Like You" live at the 2012 Grammys. 
Youtube video source
JESSICA SAYS :
I'm sure many people are assuming I am just biased, that I probably only listen to musicians who do not resort to selling sex or theatrics, but that is not true. Two years ago, I was actually quite the supporter of Lady Gaga and enjoyed her costumes and theatrics, but too much of a good thing generally leads to one getting bored quickly. I also realized after a while that some musicians resort to these tactics solely for attention. But do note that I do like to listen to bubblegum pop, as well as other genres of music.

And no, I'm not claiming that Adele is perfectly innocent. I'm not claiming that just because she has a British accent, that she's automatically not trashy or something.

And actually, she's got quite the sailor's mouth. It's quite hilarious, but that doesn't make me think any less of her. If anything, it shows that she doesn't mind being herself even while the camera is rolling, and that is refreshing. And the mix of someone classy with edge is something I admire in female celebrities and musicians.
Image Source
SO I DON'T SEEM LIKE A HYPOCRITE :
I understand why musicians and celebrities tend to have fabricated images to stand by, I do. Being a composer of music myself, one must be careful with what and how they present themselves to the audience. I am not saying that when I represent myself as Jessica Anastasia, that I am a completely different person, but I do try to keep things as appropriate as possible to avoid backlash. Though I am not a performer, I know that if I ever did perform my own work, I would not need to lose my real self in overwhelming theatrics, makeup, and outfits - though I would remain as appropriate as possible. I just wanted to clarify that I am not condemning all music artists/celebrities for having images to stand by to promote themselves and their work. I just respect those who do not need to make up an entirely different version of themselves and I respect those who attempt to remain as classy and presentable as possible when they take on their professional roles.
Image Source
TO THE READERS :
  • What do you think of Adele's stage persona?
  • When do you think Americans will completely tire of the outlandish personas?
  • Women, do you think these female artists are selling themselves short by resorting to selling sex to promote their images?

0 comments: