Friday, May 18, 2012

Why Do So Many College Students Drop Out Just Shy Of Their Degree?

Image Source
WHY THIS IS ON MY MIND :
Did you know that around 56% of undergrads drop out of college, even those just short of obtaining their degrees? And did you know that American students are the least happy and this statistic is getting worse? And did you know that about 17 million graduates have careers they never needed their BA's for?

Scary Figure
Image Source
I will not disclose whether or not I have ever wanted to drop out, do want to drop out, or will want to drop out because that is personal and such information should not be disclosed publicly, so sorry if you were looking for something here. However, I wondered what were students' reasons for leaving higher education, as I know it happens and I know those whom have left higher education.

I also want to note that I do not shame those who choose to drop out of college. I know many people whom have dropped out and are very happy in their lives, even if it's being a cashier at Starbucks, which they make fun of all the time. Sadly, I cannot do retail as a living (ask my Weis co-workers/co-cashier-ers).
I would rather jump off a bridge.
Image Source
HOW I USED TO BE WITH EDUCATION :
Secret for you all that I've tried to keep buried:
Yes, say hello to my nickname from middle school years in NJ:

"Hermione"

from J. K. Rowling's popular children's series "Harry Potter."
And this is movies 1-2 Hermione, not the Hollywood-ized "blonde bombshell" version that started around movies 3/4 (but we're not going to get into how the character of Hermione was butchered in the films because I can write thousands upon thousands of pages on it.)

First year movie-Hermione, before they and the actress chose beauty over brains. I was never this obnoxious though.

But anyway, yes, I was a bookworm, a nerd, a shy student (and high-scorer in middle school field hockey, bam!) - and the teachers loved me. I spent hours in the library reading everything I could, especially on all types of living creatures - minus insects - which was my current interest at the time (little did I know that I'd forever suck at sciences). If anyone was looking for me, I'd either be in the library or the art room. I loved reading. I loved doing homework. I loved writing. I loved art. I loved the piano. I loved education.

And it helps that so many in my family are educators. Both my parents are retired educators, my wonderful aunt is the dean of education at her university in NZ, and there are so many others that I can't recall the names of at the moment who are also educators. We obviously know a number of other educators, as well, who are not considered family, but were back in day. Basically, I am an educator's daughter, niece, and cousin. Surrounded by them for nearly my entire childhood and still surrounded by them, though in a different sense.

However, I am not the same as I was in middle school, as things changed when moving to dearest PA (sense anything there?). I found that this once very strong adoration for learning tends to change a lot as time goes on wherever I go and whatever I go through. I cannot say if this is a good or bad thing.

DO NOTE:
I'm still extremely pleased with how I turned out, though, even though my personality (and style) are nearly completely different than they were when I was younger. Extremely pleased. Especially with the style part (dear god, the clothing my mother bought me...).

BAM!
Image Source
SO WHY DO THEY DROP OUT? :
Here's the big question, though I'm sure a number of people know some of the reasons why so many college students drop out. You don't even have to look up some of these reasons. Tada:
  1. Money issues/burden of debt
  2. Not being prepared for the rigors of academic work
  3. Inability to cope with the competing demands of study/lack of work ethic
  4. Struggle to balance a part-time job with academics
  5. Struggle to balance raising a child with academics (and/or part-time job)
  6. Not knowing what they want to do and fearing their degree may not help them
  7. ECONOMY
  8. Having no direction or not being given any direction
  9. Finding passions elsewhere that don't require a degree
  10. Not feeling welcomed or academically embraced at and by their colleges and its departments, though not wanting to switch to a different department 
  11. Family issues
  12. Getting caught in the lifestyle of partying and alcohol drinking (and other substances)
  13. Choosing to join the workforce
  14. Heartache of a breakup or something like that (aw, I didn't think of that one)
  15. Homesickness
  16. Failing courses or failing out of college
  17. Inability to receive financial aid
  18. Academic interests killed due to issues, personal or school-related
  19. Health issues
  20. Wanting to travel/see the world 
  21. Giving up
  22. Knowing they're not "college-material"
    Image Source
    THE SAD TRUTH :
    Not only are all of these factors burdening college students into dropping out of college, there is also no guarantee that even WITH an undergraduate college degree, one will get a job, thanks to our economy. Yes, with this degree, one will have more job options and a higher chance of employment, but it is now sadly becoming more common for a graduate to need to further their education to get the job they may want...or don't want, but need. And that's a lot of money.
Image Source
AND MY TRUTH :
Ever since my mother would bring my brother and I into her middle school during days that our school had off and he and I would chill in the teachers' lounge and listen to teachers complain about so-and-so or talk about grading or their personal lives, I have had respect for them, never mind the fact that my parents were teacehrs, as well. Being "behind-the-curtains" so to speak was very interesting as I grew up. You got to see the real sides of teachers, hear their stories, know that they are more than just robotic creature spouting out facts. It wasn't weird for me to see a teacher at a grocery store, in fact, my kindergarten teacher would let me hang out at her house and play with her cats and draw and stuff. Ever since a young age, I have had respect for educators and no matter what ever happens, I will always have respect for educators based on their profession, even if only that (and I've had some pretty bad teachers, as everyone has...don't get me started on my high school). And that's my truth.
Image Source
TO THE READERS :
  • Have you ever thought about transferring or dropping out of the university you attend/attended? If so, why?
  • Do you shame those who choose to drop out?
  • What do yo think the system of higher education can do better to ensure that students do not drop out?
  • Also, I found my list on a number of sites plus my own common sense, but do you have any other reasons to add?


4 comments:

MP said...

Was Hermione? You may want to hide it, but everyone knows you care about your education!!

Interesting statistics tho

-mp

Alex said...

Saw this on Twitter because of the "drop out" hashtag, but I wanted to give my 2 cents, if I may (and kickass blog, btw).

I am a college drop-out, but I am proud of it. I have a wonderful son with my girlfriend and a job to provide for them both. I may go back eventually, but even though I gave up my college education, I would never regret my son. So I don't judge anyone who drops out. Reasons are reasons for a reason, so who am I to judge.

Keep blogging! You're a very good writer, xxj.

Alex

xNina Writes said...

MP,

You're funny.

Alex,

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I really appreciate it! And I'm very happy that you have found happiness outside of the system of higher education. I have a lot of respect for people like you. And thank you!

~xxj

chelsea said...

bahahaha Hermione.

you've a new nickname now. I guess I should answer the questions since other ppl did here, too

Yes, I have thought about doing those things, but that's because I'm just lazy.

Noooope.

maybe that their parents made them go or something? I know a ton of people like that

chelsea