Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jessica Says: "Dr. Who:" Never Diminish, Not Appreciate, or Cast Aside Someone's Efforts

"Dr. Who"
Image Source
NEXT CONVICTION OF MINE :
As people are probably being able to figure out by now (or already know because they know me), I stand strongly by my convictions. I have also been looking into different aspects of "humanity" lately, as people have been constantly reminding me that I am human and it is okay to be human. But let's focus on something that personally heavily crosses me, as I'm sure rings true with others (and I'm sure this is an aspect of humanity that I don't think I can let go of easily, though, the next option would be to stop caring or trying)

When my efforts are unappreciated, diminished, or put to the waste-side.

I don't know how familiar you, the reader, may be with the popular British television series "Dr. Who," but there is one episode that truly spoke to me and absolutely slaughtered my heart. I literally cried at the end (and my friend made fun of me - I'll miss our "Dr. Who" nights!).

This particular episode was about how the main characters, Amy and The Doctor, tried to save Vincent Van Gogh from committing suicide because of his inner demons, illustrated as an actual monster in the episode. 

They also tried to show and prove to him that his magnificent paintings were truly beautiful and that they would someday be appreciated by the entire world. Obviously, this show is fiction, but the message is still wonderful (and worth sharing) and they try to keep as true to the actual historic storyline as possible. Obviously, despite all of their efforts and all of Van Gogh's efforts to convince himself that his efforts are and will be truly appreciated, he still commits suicide. In life, he truly never felt as though anyone appreciated his artwork. In the episode, he only felt as though Amy and The Doctor appreciated his artwork.

Below is a video full of clips with the background music "Chances" by Athlete. I couldn't find the actual ending with this song playing (heartbreaking), but this is good enough, if not better.

I suggest watching the episode, even if you aren't a fan of "Dr. Who." This was the second episode I've ever watched and I instantly adored it.
SMALL BIO ABOUT VAN GOGH:
From this website:

"Vincent van Gogh, for whom color was the chief symbol of expression, was born in Groot-Zundert, Holland on March 30, 1853.

The son of a pastor, brought up in a religious and cultured atmosphere, Vincent was highly emotional and lacked self-confidence. Between 1860 and 1880, when he finally decided to become an artist, van Gogh had had two unsuitable and unhappy romances and had worked unsuccessfully as a clerk in a bookstore, an art salesman, and a preacher in the Borinage (a dreary mining district in Belgium), where he was dismissed for overzealousness. 

He remained in Belgium to study art, determined to give happiness by creating beauty. The works of his early Dutch period are somber-toned, sharply lit, genre paintings of which the most famous is "The Potato Eaters" (1885). In that year van Gogh went to Antwerp where he discovered the works of Rubens and purchased many Japanese prints.

In 1886 he went to Paris to join his brother Théo, the manager of Goupil's gallery. In Paris, van Gogh studied with Cormon, inevitably met Pissarro, Monet, and Gauguin, and began to lighten his very dark palette and to paint in the short brushstrokes of the Impressionists. His nervous temperament made him a difficult companion and night-long discussions combined with painting all day undermined his health. He decided to go south to Arles where he hoped his friends would join him and help found a school of art. Gauguin did join him but with disastrous results. Near the end of 1888, an incident led Gauguin to ultimately leave Arles. Van Gogh pursued him with an open razor, was stopped by Gauguin, but ended up cutting a portion of his own ear lobe off. Van Gogh then began to alternate between fits of madness and lucidity and was sent to the asylum in Saint-Remy for treatment. 

In May of 1890, he seemed much better and went to live in Auvers-sur-Oise under the watchful eye of Dr. Gachet. Two months later he was dead, having shot himself "for the good of all." During his brief career he had sold one painting. Van Gogh's finest works were produced in less than three years in a technique that grew more and more impassioned in brushstroke, in symbolic and intense color, in surface tension, and in the movement and vibration of form and line. Van Gogh's inimitable fusion of form and content is powerful; dramatic, lyrically rhythmic, imaginative, and emotional, for the artist was completely absorbed in the effort to explain either his struggle against madness or his comprehension of the spiritual essence of man and nature."

(I personally do not believe he killed himself. Just do some research on the topic.)
Image Source
JESSICA SAYS :
I know this entire thing is really a "Jessica Says" post, but I really want to emphasize the fact that I do my best to never diminish someone else's efforts and I hate it when I accidentally do. I cannot stand crossing my own convictions, let alone someone saying that I have, even if I haven't. If I have, however, I do own up to it and watch these convictions become even stronger. And if I haven't, it's far more detrimental than unappreciated efforts.

Anywho, I believe that no one should ever diminish or throw away someone else's efforts. I don't think people realize how truly detrimental that can be to the well-being of people. Imagine working so hard at something and then suddenly all of your efforts mean absolutely nothing. It's devastatingly heartbreaking. 

And sometimes people, like Van Gogh, do take it to heart. And then their heart stops beating.

I think people should be careful with others' well-beings and everything that encompasses them. I know that I prefer things very straightforward, as I do, but it doesn't mean that things I don't hurt when the things I do go unappreciated, belittled, or casted aside like they never even mattered in the first place.

Thank you to those who have always reassured me that my efforts are appreciated, though. I am truly grateful for that reassurance.
"Starry Night"
Image Source
TO THE READERS :
  • How do you feel when your efforts are diminished, unappreciated, or thrown away?
  • How do you think others can learn to appreciate others' efforts for what they are?
  • Have you ever seen this beautifully heart-wrenching episode?

3 comments:

MP said...

i've never seen this show nor this episode, but the video is, as you say, quite heartbreaking! I'm not into art or anything, but I do see where you're coming from with all of this efforts thing. that's why I hate my cashiering job. Nobody cares about anything. you can help someone out to their car and it won't matter. Sometimes I get tips, though. anyway, i was looking forward to your next convictions thing. you've never really shared what they all are.

i guess I should respond to your questions huh? okay

1. pretty fucking pissed off. i'm sure most ppl feel this way, though
2. Have them read this blog post?
3. already answered that

Good blog. keep writing!

-mp

xNina Writes said...

MP,

I actually never followed or researched any particular artist until I watched this episode. But yes, it entirely focuses around efforts, passion, creativity, and suicide. And I feel your pain with your cashiering job. I had one once and I couldn't stand it. Too monotonous. But that's true, I especially love those who got angry at me for them having expired coupons. But anyway.

1. Tell me how you really feel! haha just kidding. I don't blame you.
2. Hahaha
3. Yup

Thank you, MP

~xxj

Sam said...

Interesting blog, xxjessicaSays. I saw your hashtag on Twitter of this show and chose to check out your blog. You write a lot! But it's good stuff and your opinions are interesting.

As for this post, this episode really was heartbreaking. Just imagine going into the future and hearing that you are one of the world's famous and most talented painters and that your work would be appreciated for all of time. But that still doesn't save you. I think we are led to believe in the episode that Vincent kills himself because the only good people in his life had to leave him.

Good post. I look forward to your future ones.

Sam